Monday, October 10, 2011
Something about Sundays feels right to me. I'm not talking about the running around helter-skelter type of Sunday where you're trying to figure out this week's meal plan while juggling laundry and getting the family ready for the week. I'm talking about "Lazy Sundays". The type of day where no one in the family gets out of their PJ's. The one filled with good movies and family naps, if you're lucky (like me). Yesterday was that type of day for us. We just finished up a LONG, ridiculous week of work where we only got to see each other in passing. Not cool. So, yesterday was our day...nothing on the agenda except relaxation. And stromboli.
We have a favorite restaurant in Montgomery called Mr. G's. Every time we go, my husband orders the stromboli. It's the size of Texas. Yes, he eats the whole thing. Anyway, I've had the intention to make stromboli for some time now, it's just never come to fruition...until yesterday. I don't know why I didn't make it a million times before. It was so simple and so good and the leftovers accompanied us to work today. I suggest you don't follow my example and make a stromboli today....now as a matter of fact. Do it!!
What you'll need:
2 cans refrigerated Pizza Dough
1 package Provolone Cheese (12 slices)
2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
50 Pepperoni Slices
2 cups fresh mushrooms
2 heaping tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon Garlic Salt
1 can or jar Marinara Sauce
Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly grease a round pizza pan.
1. On a piece of parchment paper, unroll dough from one can. It should be in rectangular shape.
2. Cover with 6 slices of provolone cheese.
3. Cover provolone with 25 pepperoni slices.
4. Cover pepperoni with 1 cup mushrooms.
5. Cover mushrooms with 1 cup shredded mozzarella.
6. Starting with the edge closest to you, begin slowly rolling the dough into a tube. Some stuffing may work it's way out of the ends, simply stuff it back in and keep rolling.
6. Repeat with second can of dough and remaining ingredients ( and any other ingredients you desire).
7. Melt 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon garlic salt in microwave (about 20 seconds).
8. Brush tops of stromboli with garlic butter.
9. Bake in a 400° oven for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and top is golden brown.
10. Serve with warm marinara for dipping or spoon over top.
Allow stomboli to stand for 5 minutes before cutting ( can be served whole as well).