Monday, March 21, 2011
What you'll need:
For the crust:
4 1/2 cups oreo cookies (crushed)
1/2 cup butter melted
For the filling:
2 lbs cream cheese (softened)
5 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup of smooth creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
24 Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Miniatures (broken into pieces, divided)
2 ounces sour cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
**This is a plan-ahead dessert....cheesecake will need to chill for 4 hours prior to serving**
Preheat oven to 275°.
Make the Crust:
1. Combine Oreo cookies (I crushed mine using a food processor) and melted butter. Stir until the cookie crumbs are completely coated.
2. Pat mixture into bottom and up the sides of a 10-inch spring form pan.
Make the Filling
1. Beat room temperature cream cheese in bowl of an electric mixer until smooth.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Add sugar, peanut butter, and cream. Mix until smooth.
4. Stir in vanilla.
5. Fold in peanut butter cups with a rubber spatula.
6. Pour filling into spring form pan that has been prepared with crust.
7. Place spring form pan into a larger, deeper baking pan.
8. Pour HOT water into bottom pan, until it reaches 1 inch up the sides of the spring form pan.
9. Bake at 275° for 1 hr and 45 minutes or until firm and lightly browned.
10. Spread topping mixture over the cake and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
11. Turn off the oven and allow cake to cool IN THE OVEN for 1 hour. (This prevents cracking)
To Make the Topping:
1. Combine sour cream and granulated sugar and mix well.
When the cake has completely cooled, remove it from the oven and top it with remaining chopped peanut butter cups. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.